Although the 250th celebration of the American Revolution isn’t until 2026, South Carolina historians are helping set the stage with a series of events this year, including the Fourth Annual American Revolution Symposium Nov. 19 in Columbia.
Sponsored by the S.C. Archives and History Foundation, the all-day event features lectures, workshops and exhibits, including:
• Rick Wise speaking about General Thomas Sumter’s and General Francis Marion’s Rounds and Bridges Campaigns
• Randell Jones on The Gathering— the Route of Col. James Williams and South Carolina Militia for the Battle of Kings Mountain
• John Beakes speaking on William Campbell in the American Revolution, Commander of Riflemen at Kings Mountain and Guilford Courthouse
• Doug Bostick providing an update on the Liberty Trail
• Bill Davies speaking about plans for South Carolina’s 250th Commission celebrations
• Rev. Paul Wood on “A Search for the Truth Underlying Dicey Langston’s Stories of Heroism.”
In 2016, Congress passed the United States Semiquincentennial Commission Act to coordinate activities for the 250th commemoration of the history and founding of the United States and events of the American Revolution.
Historic Beaufort Foundation is sharing information about the 250th celebration of the American Revolution for a number of reasons, including the Battle of Port Royal Island in 1779 near Beaufort as well as several of Beaufort’s oldest historic homes date to the late 1700s. Beaufort was chartered in 1711.
For details about some of South Carolina’s upcoming events or to register for the Nov. 19 celebration, visit https://scarchivesandhistoryfoundation.org/ and click on News and Events. The symposium will be held at the SC Department of Archives & History. 8301 Parklane Road Columbia, SC 29223.
Historic Beaufort Foundation is a 501(c)3 nonprofit education foundation created to preserve, protect, andpresent sites and artifacts of historic, architectural, and cultural interest throughout Beaufort County, South on social media, including Facebook and Instagram.