"There have been many historians who say that we cannot know where we are going unless we know who we are and from where we came. Historic Beaufort Foundation is a primary resource for who we are as Americans and as a community.
All the threads of Beaufort are woven together into a magnificent quilt through our shared history. Our continued support of the mission of shared community can be realized in our support of HBF. We become stronger through learning our own history and HBF is the conduit."
- Beth Grace
In 1944, a group of thoughtful citizens led by Beaufort resident Howard Danner came together to save the Lafayette Building at 801 Bay Street in downtown Beaufort. The house, now known as the John Mark Verdier House, was slated for demolition by the City. Out of this successful effort, the house was saved, and Historic Beaufort Foundation emerged.
Incorporated in 1965, Historic Beaufort Foundation under the leadership of Board President Lucy Hall, and with support from Mayor Henry Chambers and others, championed the effort to restore the John Mark Verdier House, opening it to the public in 1975.
Chartered in 1965
HBF is a 501(c)3 not for profit education foundation created to preserve, protect and present sites and artifacts of historic, architectural and cultural interest throughout Beaufort County, South Carolina.